The First in the Forest Program is intended to serve as a resource for all undergraduate students who are first in their families to attend an American college or university. Through this program, first generation college students will be invited to attend a pre-orientation program, monthly workshops, seminars, events, and service opportunities.
First in the Forest’s vision is to foster a nurturing environment for first-generation student growth and development.
First in the Forest’s mission is to empower first-generation students and advocate for student success by providing holistic developmental programing and building strong campus & community support systems.
- Provide programming and events that promote academic, personal, and career development.
- Advocate for first-generation student needs and empower students to reach their goals.
- Build social capital and a sense of belonging for first-generation students at Wake Forest University.
- Facilitate connections to faculty, peers, and professional staff who can provide direct support for individual student interests and goals.
- Utilize a strengths-based mentoring approach in guiding first-generation students to engage in high impact practices (internships, study abroad, service-learning, undergraduate research).